Friday, February 01, 2008

Judicial review

Went to Chester over the weekend for a homestay with a British family, who were extremely nice and I had a wonderful time as a result. Really became like a part of their family, and made me miss my own family as well. For all their bantering and bickering reminded me that my family would do the same as well during our weekend dinners. Went to the Chester Zoo, had a nice time there, and spent a great day in the Welsh countryside and along the river. Also went along for a birthday party where I danced like a weirdo.
What I felt weird was that despite the fact that I was the only Asian in perhaps the whole town, I didn't feel out of place at all. The people in Chester were very happy and whatever apprehensions I had were gone very quickly.
Many people, when they found out about my trip there, had different reactions. A coursemate wondered why I always seem to be zooming off to some place or doing something else and she said she envied me. I wonder what's there to envy about really. This kind of lifestyle is only enviable if you actually do a good job at balancing your play and studies. I doubt that going off from fri to mon skipping 1 very good tutorial as a result and not doing any work over the weekend as having a good balance.
My host said I was very brave to actually come up to Chester, which was a 4 hour bus ride and stay with strangers. She added with a chuckle, "you know what they say, don't talk to strangers, come and stay with them!" But yeah, I don't really think this is a very brave thing to do. Maybe brave is the wrong adjective to use. But I do think that it was not something that was really very out of my comfort zone, I got the contact of the family from an outside organisation, I have had experiences taking buses in UK (albeit this time was the first time I took megabus, which really lived up to its price tag. Going there the bus was delayed for 20 mins thanks to a joker who went AWOL at the pit stop, and returning I felt very carsick due to the cranked up heater.) so really there's nothing too hard or brave about it.
I think sometimes I don't give myself much credit, and that I tie how I feel to what I do too much. I think that the stuff I have accompolished was too easy, hence there isn't much to congratulate myself over, and the stuff that I don't accompolish I think that I have failed myself. In short, I'm quite harsh on myself at times, which kind of drives me to work harder and not slack so much.
Been frustrated by a lot of stuff ever since I came back. I really wanted to write off this week and start again from the weekend, but somehow I managed to labour through it so far and still alive. The stuff we're learning is getting heavier and heavier, and the need to revise is even more important now. And as the end of the 1st year looms, I have to worry about stuff like my easter plans, summer plans, internship, various commitments like to the MSS etc.
I got to stop this rot. I got to deal with all the $50 problems and not just deal with the simple 5 cent 10 cent stuff. And I will.

No comments: