Thursday, July 28, 2005

Life is like a boat

Nobody knows who I really am
I never felt this empty before
And if I ever need someone to come along,
Who's gonna comfort me, and keep me strong?

We are all rowing the boat of fate
The waves keep on coming and we can't escape
But if we ever get lost on our way
The waves would guide you through another day


The opening verses of Rie fu's "life is like a boat", more commonly known as the 1st bleach ending song. Initially I didn't really like it, but it grew on me I guess, plus the folksy nature of the song makes me feel very relaxed after a hard day in the medical centre.
Well, life doesn't change much nowadays. Spent the last few weeks wraggling over duty dates to avoid clashing with my driving dates, sitting Chinook to fly to pulau sudong for flag party cover, only to encounter a war of the worlds esque storm, and having to carry all my medical stores (medical orderly pouch, first aid kit, defribillator, oxygen tank, ice box, bag valve mask) and rush to a hangar about 200m away in the pouring rain. It felt like BMT SOC all over again. The worst part was when i came within 10m of the hangar and thus shelter, the ice box opened and out spilled all its contents on to the floor. After putting the rest of the stores under the shelter, I rushed out to retrieve the ice, then only to check my MOP and find that my new copy of the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy was missing. So out I ran again into the pouring rain to try to look for the lost book, but to no avail. In the end the aircrew found it lying somewhere in the grass patch, 30% drenched. Despite that, I still read it for the duration of the cover. It was 5 hours of wearing wet underwear and socks, feeding mosquitoes and having an itchy butt all the time. So all in all it wasn't precisely a great experience, but the copter ride kind of made up for it, but truth be told it was a really noisy ride.
I guess one of the good side effects of the weekend duties is that it makes time pass much faster, the downside that the weekend isn't really something you can look forward to, plus friends are more likely to ask you out on weekends than on weekdays, so your social life suffers. The worst part of weekend duties is having to eat the crappy food they serve, especially on sunday, and thinking of the good food that my family will be having. Feeling rather "sianed out" (for the lack of an english equivalent) as I'll be burning both sat and sun this weeek, but at least I'll take monday off to preserve my sanity.
Some idiot bugger came to report sick at 0130h this morning. Picked up the phone call when I was fast asleep, then had to rush to call the doctor and wake the other medics up. I sincerely thought it was something really serious, I mean it must be serious for them to want to come in at 0130 in the wee hours of the night. But no, here comes this guy who clutches his stomach and claims he quote unquote "he had mild stomach pain. reported sick as he couldn't sleep". In the end we gave him some buscopan and sent him off, before I retired for the night feeling extremely irritatable.
Actually helped my sec 4 brother with his chem work sometime last week, just didn't solve the problem as fast as I could last time I guess. Shows that I haven't lost my touch, it's just hibernating.
Living each day for the next, with no ultimate goal at the end of the tunnel, maybe that will change come august, what with driving lessons and the opening of applications to uk universities. Still nursing ambitions to tutor some hapless kids in econs, or do something. Anything to break the monotony.
Get out of my comfort zone. So far 2 people have said that to me, so I guess 2 people can't be wrong in assessing me right? There is some element of truth in it, aI i tend to rationalise too much to allow for spontaneous decision making. Having said that my record of spontaneous decision making isn't very stellar. Nevertheless, perhaps that is one area of myself I need to work on, not to cocoon myself up in some ivory tower, but to be more open and forthcoming.
To all those who are disrupting because of medicine or scholarships, good on you. All the best, you guys worked hard for this and deserve it. To the girls who are entering uni, study hard play hard and enjoy your youth. To those like me still awaiting our release, hang in there man, take it a day a time and we'll get there. Not soon, but eventually.
Relationships wise, no room for another wound for my heart. Let's lay off this heady concoction for a while and collect good karma. Haha.

I want you to know who I really am
I never thought I'?d feel this way towards you
And if you ever need someone to come along,
I will follow you, and keep you strong

No comments: