Saturday, July 09, 2005

Misguided ambitions

The desire to blog is just isn't there nowadays, somehow I feel my days are not really worth mentioning about. Patients come and go, the time I spend in the medical centre wearing green, sorting through various medical dockets, dispensing medicine, wrestling with a very uncooperative computer system, time at home is spent rewatching gundam seed and destiny, or any anime series I've got my hand on. Such a waste isn't it? I'm in a bind, I can't do much as my schedule is so erratic and fickle. Spent my long weekend just lounging around, only notable achievements are finishing full metal alchemist and passing my basic theory test.
On Friday someone important to me asked me if I really wanted to live my life going through the motions. She went on to tell me many other things, things I normally would have just denied and shoved to the darker ends of my mind, but she brought them all out in the light, and briefly she had me questioning myself. She got me at a good time, I was vulnerable, trying desperately to find some purpose, something more worthwhile than vegetating in front of a computer screen. She offered me a purpose, and I was almost seduced.
But then that answer, that purpose, would be hollow. It isn't the answer I seek. I have no reason to reject it, nor any reason to accept it. I have and will always seek my own path, and I wasn't about to start accepting something I know isn't what I seek just to fill that hollow void in my mind. Having said that, I appreciated her efforts, evidently she cared enough for me to say all that she did. If by some off chance she reads this, know that I'm happy that you care for me, but don't worry, I'll seek my path as always, and hopefully the answer I want and seek is out there somewhere. Maybe in my misguided attempts to seek for a better answer will make me realise there is no such thing, but I won't know until I try.
Weeks seemed to flow by. I decide to count the days using destiny episodes. The thing that helps me get through the week is the prospect of a destiny episode at the end of it. Every Sunday, my sis will keep vigil in front of the computer waiting for the torrent to appear. Then after dinner is consumed it's time to escape to a world where people pilot giant robots to fight wars.
Yeah mog I understand the feeling. It's not only a gundam fan, doesn't everyone take comfort in being able to do something with absolute conviction? That you're safe in the knowledge that what you're doing is absolutely right? Soldiers fight wars to defend their country, and die doing so. Doctors work to save lives, policemen strive to stop crime, firemen go all out to put out fires. To have a purpose is indeed a wonderful thing. With a purpose you can stand on your two feet and face the world with determination, and you wake up each day with a burning desire to pursue that purpose. To be without a purpose would be like a ship without a rudder, sailing in no particular direction.
She asked me if I ever questioned my existence, since one's existence is useless without a purpose. Now I feel although purposes are fleeting, liable to change and totally malleable, my purpose is still there. Hidden, silent in the inner reaches of myself, waiting to be unleashed upon this world. When that day comes, what I need isn't a new purpose, but to display the same amount of conviction she has to her own purpose.
It's official, I have turned mog into a gundam fanboy. But I have to agree with him, to swoop down upon the battlefield, beam wings open, eye sensors glowing brilliant gold, that is some image.
Anime is a big part of my life. Somehow I get influenced greatly by the anime series I watch. I want to be able to write stories that fascinate, terrify, bother, enrage and ultimately affect people. The tragic hero in destiny shin is an example. You can't help but empathise with him, having lost his family and the girl he promised to protect in the flames of war, yet it is evident to anyone that he is merely a pawn, a hired gun in the grand scheme of things. A person who shoots at whatever he is told to shoot at. One only needs to glance at the furore and constant debates over shin to see how powerful his portrayal is.
Maybe that shall be my new purpose. To pick up the pen again, to write out the words I see in my head as images float around, stories created then abandoned or forgotten, idea upon idea collected yet not used. Now I need the conviction to follow it through.
Suddenly, a flash of green energy streaked through the air, striking the enemy right through its cockpit. The enemy staggered for a second, before exploding in a ball of crimson flame.
Slowly, it descended from the heavens like an avenging angel with shimmering wings. It's brilliant eyes piercing through the darkness, the roar of its thrusters spreading throughout the battlefield.
It had arrived.
The one they called DESTINY.

No comments: