Tuesday, November 14, 2006

All change on the home front

It's 1:22 am in the morning, I just woke up from a 3 hour "nap" from 8 to 11 pm, now I'm quite wide awake. Finished the preliminary packing for my Thailand trip, will add in the other stuff like charger and toiletries when I'm done with them tomorrow.
Would have used the computer earlier, but my brother was using it, so I went to channel surf. HBO was showing In Good Company, and there was a scene in it where Scarlett Johansson (who plays a college student of 18) "invites" the guy to her dorm room to check it out. Right. Only in Hollywood.
Anyway, for those who still don't know and care, I'm flying off to Thailand (specifically Krabi then Bangkok) for a holiday from the 14th to the 22nd, in other words I'm flying off tomorrow. Last call for anything from Thailand.
It's been a strange few days. Strange in that I'm neither extremely happy or sad. It's more of a strange (there's the word again) sense of ambivalence. Like when I got my pink IC. I guess the trouble I had to go through to get my clearance signed sort of eroded the excitement of getting it finally, but when that sticker was pasted over my green card a feeling of "finally" came over me. It's more of a sense of "where did the 2 years go?". Then I know that this is the new chapter of my life, the one which I had been pining for a long time, but now that it is here, seems very alien and weird to me.
Also, I'm going to move house soon, probably in the first week of December. I've visited the new house a few times already, and it's coming along nicely. I get my own room for the first time in 20 years of my life. Still, it's very troublesome to move plus I've been packing up my stuff into boxes to be shifted over. In the process, I dug up lots of interesting stuff, like my sec 3 final year exam which I overshot the word limit by a lot (ego at work there), some old stuff like photos, stuff I wrote, journal entries in my now hopeless mandarin which I had to do for my JC chinese teacher who loved to ask sharon and only sharon questions, econs s notes and old econs s essays where the teacher will write some scathing comments about my essay, and many more.
Really, where did the years go? It wasn't too long ago I was mugging furiously for my A's, living each day for the day, then when it was all over, the euphoria of freedom was tempered by the sense of impending change, before it began to the background music of shaving razors and the feeling of a cold unfeeling blades on my head.
But rather than looking back, I prefer to look forward. Looking back once in a while is nice and gives you that warm fuzzy feeling especially when you're alone in the middle of the night, but looking forward gives you the buzz of new experiences.
Will update when I return. Till then, all the best for those taking O's and A's! It'll end soon...

No comments: