Thursday, June 02, 2005

Smashing the devil's workshop

Nothing like a day of hard work to cleanse myself of all the moroseness i've been feeling the whole week. Today was a very busy day in the medical centre, for starters there were 10 (yes count them) 10 people from FDS reporting sick and required IV. You can clear your IV card immediately. Although I only put the needle in for 1 guy, a 23g needle, the smallest already so it was quite easy, I had to manage all the other patients, wheeling IV stands to the treatment room, packing them off into the sick bay and getting lunch for them, ensuring that their IV lines do not drop off, replacing the IV fluids and preventing them from having their blood backflow all the way back into the packets as the fluids had run out. Plus the server broke down so things were moving very slowly, only had lunch at 1230 and slept a bit in the sickbay taking care of the patients in there.
And at the end of the day, when we finally discharged the patients at about 1600, I was really tired out. Then this guy says to me as he is about to leave "thank you medic". I was really taken aback, I am not used to such politeness in the army. I just said some stupid stuff like dont mention it. I think many army guys can learn from him, a little politeness can do a lot.
NUS law tea session was just a chance to apply off, as the talking part lasted 20 mins then it was a free for all food session. Interesting thing happened, on tuesday night we received an emergency fever case, and the guy who came in looked familiar, but I couldnt really tell as he was wearing a face mask. Then i saw his nametag, and realised he was arif aditya, my pri 4 classmate. I bantered with him for a while, trying to distract him from noticing that chris was goign to IV him. We did the IV, then sent him on his way. And lo and behold who do i meet the next day at the tea session, arif on attend c attending it. Quite funny as gabriel gn was there as well we had a mini informal 4G reunion.
After spending a week here in 1MS, I find ironic that I'm a medic despite not wanting to do medicine. Working here is like working in a polyclinic, you learn what this drug does, you learn to do ECGs IVs drawing of blood injections etc. Plus the doctors are there for you to ask questions, and looking at them do their work is quite fascinating as they are very competent and know their stuff well.
A bare weekend awaits, but I don't really feel it too greatly now. Congrats to all the sispec ppl who passed bslc and passed out, everyone good luck and happy holidays for all those still schooling!

No comments: