Friday, June 16, 2006

Thin Ice

Yet another thought that pops up in my head once in a while appeared while I was idling in front of the computer which prompted me to write about. I think during my J2 year I'm quite sure it was Edwin who told me that it's important to learn how to ice skate. His thought process was that when deciding where to go for group outings like OG outings, you should try and convince the group to go to the ice skating rink in jurong or kallang. There, if you're competent in ice skating, the girls who are greenhorns at the activity will naturally gravitate towards you as their pillar of support and also you can get to teach them how to ice skate.
(I'm not sure if you really said it ed, but if not then it must have been some other guy then.)
Can't really comment on that, as in the end I only managed to do ice skating last year in canada and landed on my butt far too many times that a 10 year old caucasian girl had to offer me the walker, much to my embarrassment.
Still, I guess you can draw some parrallels between ice skating to a relationship. As a guy, chances are you have to be that pillar of strength, the person who will hold her as the two of you negotiate the slippery surfaces.
But more importantly, is that she trusts you enough to go ice skating for you, as she is safe in the knowledge, misguided or not, that if she were to fall, you'll be there to stop her from hitting the ground.

No comments: