Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Fever Pitch

Been reading the aforementioned book for the last few days, and I must say it's great. Bear with me, those who read it long ago, I have always wanted to read it but never got down to doing so, finally got a chance to do so after borrowing it from the library. Any football fan should read it. I just like to reproduce a excerpt from the book, which more or less sums up the feeling of a football fan.
Football teams are extraordinarily inventive in the ways they find to cause their supporters sorrow. They lead at Wembley and then throw it away; they go top of the First Division and then drop dead; they draw the difficult away game and lose the home replay; they beat Liverpool one week and lose to Scunthorpe the next; they seduce you, halfway through the season, into believing that they are promotion candidates and then go the other way... always, when you think you have anticipated the worst that can happen, they come up with something new.
When I read this paragraph I can't help but nod in agreement and smile. I remember having to endure cock ups like taibi and barthez, defensive errors aplenty, that agonising FA cup final in 2005, when Man Utd dominated the whole match but lost, 4-3 against Real at home but still out, and many more sad moments.
Didn't really feel that well today, thanks to a major screw up on my part on sun. It did not help that Man Utd lost in a very frankly, pathetic way. I just hope now they roll up their socks and finish the job they started way back when the season started.

No comments: