Thursday, April 19, 2007

My Annus Mirabilis

No, this has nothing to do with my anus.
Been sometime I wrote anything here, and I do have a lot of thoughts swirling in my head. A few months ago when I was still wearing green, I may have tried to pen them down, and fail miserably due to the rustiness of my language skills, but now I think it's coming back to me slowly. The old acerbic wit has shown itself in a few situations to (I hope!) great effect.
Was at a sec school for 3 days last week. Was quite fruitful, but it was darn far away from my house, all the way in Bukit Gombak, thus I have to wake up very early to get there. And I didn't get there on time at all for all 3 days. Oops. Somehow did not hear the alarm clock on friday, woke up only at 0650, rushed and took a cab there in the end.
Interacting with the students was very interesting as usual, as every bunch is different, plus this time I had no colleague to back me up, so I had to fly solo many a time. The students were a nice group, but they had the usual baggage which I hoped I had helped to clear.
Some interesting incidents. A girl shared to me that she felt her male platonic friend was becoming distant and she was very concerned about this. I was about to give her some standard advice regarding relationships between friends, and then she told me he was her ex-relief teacher, and started to bring in her ex-boyfriend and other stuff, I called time-out and asked my female colleague who was taking the other group to talk to her. I sort of deduced she just wanted someone to talk to, so best I get a girl to talk to her. Don't really feel like revealing too much here online, suffice to say the situation was rather convoluted.
It got me thinking about 2 things. One, she really was thinking too much. She says his short smses that he sends are an indication of him being distant to her, but I beg to differ. Maybe he's just lazy? But my point is we shouldn't really read too much into things.
Secondly, someone will probably castigate me for this, but I think it'll be easy to just acquire a partner. All you have to do is just prey on a person's insecurities, show mock concern, impress him/her with some gifts, and chances are it can be done. I'm not saying that girls are easy, far from it, but what I believe is that it is possible. Which led me to think that if we define the word partner loosely, it can be spilt into 2 parts, the physical discernible part, which is the person you go out on dates with, and the emotional part, in other words he/she is the person you feel more for than other people. So, if you remove the emotional parts, ceteris paribus, you technically still have a partner. But this kind of relationship kind of sucks right?
Was celebrating Fabian's birthday at a chalet in Sentosa, went around the island's beaches in the dark with nick and another guy. The island is indeed nicer, shall make it a point to watch the new musical fountain show, I hope they got rid of that pointless green monkey. The Sentosa Express was a pleasant ride as well, although it's still very expensive to go to the place. At least the best places to be, the beaches, are still free and it was nice to just sit there and feel the breeze and take in the sights.
Spent the weekend studying the backlog of Japanese lessons, 10 in all. Managed to finish all 10 lessons in 2 days and completed all the homework that was due last week.
Man Utd is still crushing opposition, despite losing defender after defender. Hope some of them come back and be available soon. Still, the amount of joy they bring me is just immeasurable.
Read the news about the shooter in Virginia. Just feel it's damn sad, and my first reaction was, "Do I have any friends there?". It's depressing to know that such pointless violence is occurring. With just a few pulls of the trigger, he made a whole nation feel ashamed, created 30 odd grieving families and countless other friends and schoolmates terrorised and scarred for life. Seeing the faces of those who were killed, some cut down brutally at the cusp of adulthood, you can't help but feel a sense of waste. I'd tell my students, if I get the chance to do so, that while you're here bemoaning your life, think of those slain students, never given a chance to blossom into adults, and I hope it triggers a reaction in them.
Did a DISC test on myself, and I think I screwed it up as I mixed my responses as I did not stick to one situation. But I could discern that my outward personality is now I/S, but my inward personality is still S/C. Not a bad combination I guess. It just means I'm more people oriented when I'm with others, garrulous and revel in the company of others, but by myself I still am the anal retentive obsessively compulsive person who enjoys simple pleasures and avoid conflicts I have been for quite some time.
Embarking on the first phase of my "Checking out Singapore before I leave" plan soon. The idea behind it is to check out some places in my fair island that one would not normally visit. This was inspired by Neil Humphreys books on Singapore, and I think it'd nice to just go sightseeing in a place I have come to take for granted for 21 years of my life.
Hmm, this has been a long and disjointed post. Somehow I have been of a good mood for the week, some things happened to me that only I would be happy about, so it is pointless to divulge any details. Campfire this weekend, coupled with a football session that I'll probably be breathless after 15 mins, Hong Kong in a week's time, Spider-Man 3 opening soon, things are looking good.
I like being contented and happy.

No comments: