Wednesday, August 08, 2007

High Fidelity

I am officially a Nick Hornby convert. After reading his Fever Pitch, I go on to High Fidelity which really deserves a chance to be used a literature text for the modern world. His observations of human behaviour is really spot-on, and more so when it comes to the male species. I couldn't help reread some paragraphs as I would have the feeling like "Yeah! I feel exactly like this at times, but I never knew how to describe it!"
Many parts of the book were just so insightful, but I only remember some parts that stuck in my mind. Here's one part, lifted from the book, about how a male bares his soul.
"It feels, even to me, like I'm being intimate: I speak quietly, slowly, thoughtfully, I express regret, I say nice things about Laura (his ex-girlfriend), I hint at a deep ocean of melancholy just below the surface."
Really hit it right on the head, if you ask me.

No comments: