Sunday, March 21, 2004

Cry me a river

Hello hello, here I stand, at the brink of my common tests, looking back on a week that bordered on the fruitful and wasted.
Spent a good part of yesterday afternoon watching the majestic, the movie starring jim carrey, about a guy who loses his memory and is mistaken to be a war hero in a small town. It was a very run-of-the-mill emotional movie about how a jaded guy finds himself again, but somehow it struck a chord in me.
When jim carrey eventually regains his memory and finds out he is supposed to stand trial for his alleged communist activities, (the movie was set in the 1920s), he reminds the judges that the first ammendment, where everyone has the right ot be who he wants, freedom of choice, he also says, good people, like the war hero he unwittingly impersonated, fought and died to preserve the first ammendment, and they deserve better.
It reminds me of the fact sometimes we lose sight of what we really want to be. Jim carrey's character had a choice to admit his "guilt" and make all his problems go away, but yet he chose to stand up for a cause. He drew a line he refused to cross. He did what he thought was right. Most importantly, he had the conviction to see it through.
Away from the "that's hollywood milking the audience for all their worth" cynicism, I see that conviction lackign greatly in school, society, hell even me.
"You stand up for a cuase and you get mowed down." I quote jim carrey's character. How true yet sad. I've stood up for a few lost causes before, and they remained lost and I got frustrated. And the actions of those involved dampen the desire for me to try again. Sometimes I feel like just letting it out and give up without a fight.
Sighz, sad yet true. How many of us have really stood up for a cause and fought for it, till the end, against bureacracy, against the people who set the rules?
I should stop ranting and get back to chem. I don't want to get mowed down again. I worry for my testimonial.

No comments: