Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Carpe Diem

A letter I wrote to my OG which was supposed to be read out on o-nite but something else cropped out. Reproduced here just for the heck of it and rather than let it rot in my C drive. Besides, I think I wrote what I really felt in it.

Dear Apsytus,

First of all, I must apologise for my absence as I have to be in charge of the campfire, therefore I cannot be with you, much as I really want to but duty comes first. We must be responsible in whatever we do and I hope you understand and forgive me for my absence.
In my place is this letter to all of you great and wonderful individuals, which I’m proud to call my Selffars. Although Day 1 you guys were still awkward and unsure, I sensed in all of you buried potential, and I was not disappointed when the games were played. You guys were committed, determined, hardworking and persistent to the very end, values that are very important in this world.
I hope through the games, amazing race, dancing and other activities like discussing toilet activities and singing songs you guys have bonded as one as an Ja’rox, and made new and good friends, and have started to understand the wonder that is RJC.
Like I have repeated ad naseum, this is not my orientation. I merely facilitated your orientation. Think back over the last few days. Did you really make orientation the orientation you want? Or did you feel it was a big waste of time?
I hope all of you will take at least a few minutes before you sleep at night and reflect over the last week, all the games, activities etc. You will never have a second orientation, so cherish these memories. I’ll always have fond memories of my orientation Zaqaedor, and I hope all of you feel the same of Jaxoras.
This is not the end. This is only the beginning of your wonderful JC life. You will experience the highs and lows of teenage life, of trying out new experiences and being a better person. You guys have a short 2 years, go out and cherish every moment of it.
If you always wanted to try a sport, go do it, and to hell what other people think. My advice to you in RJC is very simple. Carpe Diem. Go out there and seize the day, go out there and live your dream. Not mine, not their, not your parents’ dreams, but yours and yours only. Go out and try new things, pick up a new skill, etc. RJC is a place of opportunity for you to do so. Never forget that.
Last of all, I would thank Yang Qian my co-Ja’Dye, for putting up with an easy-going to a fault me, we may have had our disagreements, but we had them due to our desire for the best for our Ja’rox.
At the end of the day, what really matters is that you take away something positive from this 6 day experience, be it compassion for your fellow man, understanding the other gender better or just simply having more friends, it is good enough for me. I, as a Ja’Dye, have completed my task and I’ll be very happy.
And yeah, if you guys need any help in any way, just buzz me. I’m more than willing to help you out and I’ll keep everything private.
I’ll end off again with my favourite quote. “Tell my tale to those who ask, tell it truly, the ill deeds, along with the good, may I be judged accordingly. The rest… is silence.”
In short, when you finally leave this world, what do you want people to remember you as? By your good deeds, or ill deeds?
Last of all, remember, we are the hope of a better age.
The fire of the Rafflesian Spirit burns in your heart.
Auspicium Melioris Aevi.

Yours sincerely,
Zhao Yang

No comments: