Thursday, May 17, 2007

Goodbye, halcyon days

Something just hit me while I was bathing.
Recently someone dear to me and younger than me told me, after a bit of probing, that he got a girlfriend. My suspicions were aroused when I saw him myseteriously acquire a set of homemade muffins and was confirmed when his MSN display pic showed 2 people instead of 1.
When I told this story to a friend, he laughed and said that he got chocolate cake after his very book out from tekong.
What set me thinking was, when I spoke to the guy that was younger than me, I know his puppy love would face a lot of obstacles and chances are it won't work out and end in tears. The cynical side of me wanted to tell him that, but I decided not to.
Despite this knowledge, I think the things that they'll do for each other would make it worthwhile. Just like the friend with the chocolate cake, although it did not end up the way he wanted, I'm sure if he thinks back to that day he'll smile at the memory of it. Let's face it, after shagging around in that shit island for 2 weeks, dragged from the comfortable civilisation we were used to to something so alien and different, I'm sure the feeling you get if someone was there at the bus interchange waiting for you with a smile would be a feeling of pure unadulterated happiness, untainted by the cynicism of the world.
And I wonder, if I did end up missing out on such simple but pure love, that only belongs to a time where we were all wide eyed and innocent, and that can never be gotten back again.

No comments: