Sunday, May 20, 2007

Remember your first wedding?

For those who saw the new commercial commerating 40 years of NS, the abovementioned words appear at the part when a new recruit grabs his rifle from his superior in the rifle presentation ceremony. Brought back some memories, it sure did.
"You must snatch it from me! Like a man!"
Wednesday went to watch Phantom of the Opera. Very good stuff, people were humming the tunes in the toilet while peeing during the intermission. Am now listening to the soundtrack regularly as well. Well worth the 147 bucks.
Friday, the mahjong session that were gestating for a week finally materialised, after a few hiccups along the way. What with people playing out last minute due to a forgotten birthday party or people insisting that they'll only come after watching the 7 pm show on Channel 8 for a chiobu. The driver of the mercedes shuttle bus came to my place early afternoon as he was bored, we browsed kino for a while and he got to be known as Andy, driving all the way to redhill first then to meyer road, where we didn't complete a mahjong game again. Played the stupid drinking game after supper, i kenaed the nonsense for the last round (Tequila, whisky and water). The first round was worse, absolut strawberry, jolly shandy and milo.
Sun was a farce, as we were supposed to go ice skating but got the closing time wrong. Ended up going to settler's cafe in holland village, played their namesake's game and found it quite fun. Adrian got 2 answers right during the idiot game when he was supposed to get them wrong, and claimed he did that accidentally. I'm sure.
Am very behind with my Japanese homework as a result of constant going out, shall take tomorrow to study.
Shall just end with a story. On Sat, I went to office for some refresher course. As it was a very last minute thing, the turn out was very poor, with only 3 people (myself included) appeared. As the meeting hadn't started, I chatted with a colleague who came earlier than me. She started to enthusiastically tell me about what happened to her the previous day.
A bit of backstory first. There was a collective office lunch once, and I sat opposite her for it and started to talk to her. I've seen her before a few times, and she is always dressed in a very mature manner, so I always thought she was a good 3 years older than me. Over the course of her conversation, she revealed she's only a first year uni student, then it dawned on me that she was actually younger than me! In my sleep deprived state then, my mouth moved faster than my brain and I just blurted out these words.
"Your only 20? I thought you were 24!"
She said "No." with enough frostiness to freeze hell over. I thought, Oops, BIG mistake there. But thankfully she didn't really take it to heart, and we chatted amicably during our subsequent meetings.
Back to last Sat, she started to tell me that she was in Bugis the previous day shopping, and suddenly she was approached by 2 young looking but well dressed guys. 1 of them said, "Err, can I have your number?" and she was taken aback. She didn't give them her number, but a email address she hardly uses, and asked for their ages. They told her they were 18.
Which led to her to triumphantly say to me, "Hey 2 18 year old guys approached me leh! And you still say I look 24." When I tried to tease her about those guys having Oedipal complexes, she retorted, "Eh don't talk nonsense la. When you get 16 year old girls approaching you then you have the right to talk!"
And the best part, she repeated the story to anyone who cared to listen in the office.
Line of the week. When discussing examples to illustrate points to the students, many atime we use the ones that are "unforgettable" for various reasons so that the students will remember.
"Why is it that the best examples are the ones that inevitably have to do with bodily secretions?"

No comments: