Monday, June 11, 2007

Just doesn't feel right

Today reminded me why I hate mondays.
As it turned out, it was a bad day at work. For starters, I went to the wrong location of the school, as the original campus was undergoing renovations. I went to the original site and tried to get it, but failed as I couldn't see any entrance. I eventually ended up at the side gate, where I saw one of the workers and asked him where the entrance was. He couldn't really understand english very well, but eventually he pointed me to the other side of the school, which was along some field. In the end, I went one big round back to the side gate, this time I demanded he open the gate for me, which he did. Then I realised horribly that the school was totally deserted and in a hopeless state that it can't possibly house students. That was when I made a hurried phone call to my colleague and had the sinking feeling of "holan". $5.20 can fare and 50 mins late later, I managed to get to where I was supposed to be an hour ago.
And what killed today was the fact that the students really frustrated me today. You could even visualise their negativity as like some barrier around them, refusing to listen or open up at all. I really wanted to take a sledgehammer to break some skulls and stupid mindsets. They talk like the whole world is against them, yet they don't want to help themselves. Frankly speaking, today was a very soul draining experience, and for the first time I felt that I wouldn't want to bring offspring into this world if they were to end up like them.
Frustration and sadness is what I feel. Frustrated as I really want to help them, but that will is waning, sad as they're not taking this chance to try and be better. And a bit of anger as well, but to myself, as I feel like giving up, not caring, not giving a damn since they can't as well, but that's tantamount to giving up on them, which I loathe to do. I can also sense that in their hearts there's some sincerity to change, to improve, but together as a whole their collective negativity is so irritating.
In this age of information overload, authority figures are unable to control information to youths at all. As such, they are bombarded by information from so many areas, be it the internet, tv or movies. It's sickening as how can you expect a youth of only 16 to understand so much? They're exposed to the grey areas of life before they know what is the black and white. And they're so easily affected by the crowd to just go along with the flow, that one ounce of individuality is not allowed lest you want to suffer ridicule.
It's saddening to think about it. Would you want to send your children to such a fate? I'd do everything in my power to prevent this. It's unhealthy, and it grates me so much that I want to grab some students by the neck, shout at them to wake up their idea and slap them around till they get it.
I'm not a good person, just a person trying to do good. When tomorrow comes, I'll try again. And I'll try my darnest to smash that barrier of negativity. If some deity should help me, I won't let some nonsense apparition that has no right to be anyone's life stand in my way to helping someone.

No comments: