Tuesday, June 12, 2007

McFriend

Don wrote a very moving piece on his blog about the guys, but managed to jack me twice in it as well.
He referred to the article in Sunday times about the 2 sisters having 16000 friends. I, too, express incredibility as to it. They should be more considered as acquaintances, but then the definition of friend is flimsy at best. I'm more anal about it, as I think only a select few in your life can be considered as your friend.
Perhaps in this time of instant gratification, such a McFriend TM syndrome was bound to happen. Somehow I don't think a friend is made by clicking buttons, rather people become friends when they don't really know it.
That's probably why we cherish our secondary friends more, as we spent so much time together, perhaps even more than we would have liked sometimes, but hey like don said, somehow we still meet up regularly for reasons that have nothing to do what with we were involved in initially. What does mahjong have to do with scouting anyway?
Reading Don's effusive post, I can't help but get goosebumps. Probably because it said what I feel too, and it's heartening to know someone thinks you're as close to him as a brother.
If every student had a good friend they could count on to, as Don puts it, cover his six, Singapore's future would be better off.
I think I'll just leave it at that as I don't think I have to be soppy and sentimental anymore. But suffice to say, I echo his sentiment, that I'm glad to have such a great bunch of friends. Friends whom I borrow manga and stuff from free of charge, friends who always have grand ideas for television serials, friends who would always be teased for being shy and timid even though he isn't anymore, friends who won't say much but do a lot things on the sly, friends who holler at the top of their voices and prance around like a mad person during a football match, friends who crack very lame jokes, friends who like to aviator shades and drive around, friends who support Newcastle and Norwich of all teams, and a friend who is a crazy spartan wannabe and another who blogs in mandarin and refers to himself in third person.
Truly "pattern more than badminton".
But, friends still.

No comments: