Tuesday, April 15, 2003

Vote For Me

Vote for me, she said,
Eyes flashing, pamphlet red.
Vote for me, she repeated,
And I will give whatever you wanted.

Vote for me, were the words,
And I promise not to follow the herd.
Vote for me, pleaded she,
Or else you’ll be all at sea.

Vote for me, came the resounding war cry,
And I will make the college fly.
Vote for me, this time coming from the other corner,
Shooting hard and fast, like a rabid gunner.

Vote for me, came the homely smile,
I promise to make it worth your while.
Vote for me, thrusting papers, stickers, bribes into my hands,
The baying wolves came in bands.

Vote for me, the single phrase revolving around,
All I could hear was that sickening sound.
Vote for me, came the final salvo,
Sadly there would be no crescendo.

Ng Zhao Yang
8.01 p.m. 15/4/03

To all campaigning councillors.

No comments: