Friday, August 13, 2004

Basket, fishballs, super white etc.

I don't know which one to hate more, the olympics, or Mediacock. Olympics decide to screw Man Utd over by stealing heinze and ronaldo from their paymasters to put up a facade of a dog and pony show, since when olympics had anything to do with football anyway? And mediacock has decided to screw any tv viewer over for a grand total of 6 (SIX) weeks by messing up the television schedule thanks to the darn olympics. They oh ONLY and i do mean ONLY rescheduled those shows 10 pm and onwards, which happen to be the only good shows worth watching, and that includes OC! By the time it returns to our very friendly screens it'll be prelim period!!! Blooming marvellous!!! (I'm doing a great job keeping explicit vulgarities out of this post!)
Which brings me back to my favourite rant of the standard of programming in Singapore. Anyone who has a burning desire to watch my big fat obnoxious fiance whatever stupid title they gave that show should be condemned to watch gigli for 24 hours straight. Or make them watch the "all your base" flash for 24 hours. On second thoughts that is quite lenient. Why would any self respecting individual want to watch shows that have no intrinsic value in them except for (gross) entertainment? I'm no snob, OC is just pure fluff, I watch it to relax, but shows like these should not be occupying prime time, It is just symptomatic of a society which has a weird set of values if their idea of post-dinner entertainment was watching people eating extremely gross stuff, or reality dating shows which undermine the institution of marriage, or just simply 2 spoilt brats getting paid for acting more spoilt. Maybe every family should just switch off the TV and engage in a game of scrabble, that is far more intellectually stimulating.
Haiz, rant over i think, but I just don't understand why lame-ass reality shows get prime time while award winning shows either get banned, cut to pieces, or simply get shelved into the twilight zone timeslot. All we get as common fare are (no) talent shows, reality TV which i detest (surprise there), variety programmes (which are only slightly better than reality TV, I mean who actually bothers watching stars doing challenges on water?), or drama serials which are so formulaic.
Like I said, I'm nos nob, and being an econs student I know there is a demand for such programmes therefore they are produced. Still, I just shake off the feeling that mum is right, that a society which watches shows like Unbeatables and Holland V is in danger of being stuck in that level only. Or maybe she and I are just acting the snob again, only that she is always worse than me (ha!).
In any case, it means now there is NOTHING to make my wretched thursdays better.
And for the benefit of all those out there who think that banana joker is funny, he was a guy in the Singapore GameFAQs forum who got dared to do it. And he did. But he NEVER got to the judges, Mediacock decided to do some clever editing to insert that scene with the judges in it. Now you know the truth.
List of things Mediacock has screwed me over for:
1) CANCELING BEAST WARS!!!!!!!! (I'll never forgive them for that)
2) Their shitty programming
3) Timing of the practice
4) And now this
It's amazing how a humble tv company can make me so pissed off.
Thank you for listening to me rant. Have a nice day. If possible, send Mediacock a pig's head.
:)

No comments: