Sunday, July 01, 2007

Celebrate the fact you had a childhood

Thanks Jim, for that treat on tuesday, albeit it was through fabian the proxy. Hope you liked the presents we got for your birthday, especially the all powerful cash sale receipt book. We had loads of fun singing our lungs out in that dark room, and doing spastic actions along with the singing. Happy 21st my friend, welcome to adulthood, and all the unfortunate responsibilities that come along with it.
Returned to the "Organisation" for the first time since last november. When I stepped through the front door of my old stomping ground, the smell of the place hit me and all the feelings associated with the 2 years I spent came flooding back to me. I wasn't really looking forward to my 2 day stint, but in the end it was quite a farce. We were told to report back at 8, and after registration which ended at 9 we had a briefing till 0930h, and then we were told were free to do anything we wanted until 1330h where we were to go to another place down the road for our CPR recertification. That lasted a mere 2 hours, and we left for home at 1530h.
I thought that timing would be hard to beat, but I was wrong again. The second day we did our morning portion by 12, then we had a 2hour lunch break till 1400h. I just rotted away in the mess. Once we gathered again at 1400h, we had a quick theory test before we were dismissed at 1500h.
An amusing anecdote was on the second day, I wanted to change my ID, so the guard handed me the green form to fill up, which is for those who have not finished their 2 years of service. When I was given the green form, I opened my wallet and pointed to my IC, then he sheepishly took back the green form and passed me the white form, for those who have completed their service. I don't blame him, as many of those who are still serving are surprised to find out that I've finished serving, was the youngest person amongst those who were called up for the 2 day refresher course.
Wednesday night was spent having dinner with my parents with their friends. I tagged along only for the food and for the fact that I was supposed to drive the car as my parents would be drinking. I cut a quite lonely figure, as there were only adults there, so I didn't have anyone to talk to. But what scared me, was that the topics the adults talked about. They were constantly discussing about heavy stuff like the economy, their jobs, the government etc. It scares me to think that when we grow up we'll inevitably end up talking about such stuff as well. Conversation would be so boring then.
Thursday night was another birthday, this time Jieming's. Was nice to see my sec 4 classmates as well, as usual SR was made fun of for being the only guy still serving, plus many other humorous incidents involving luah and seah. As Jieming said later, it's really nice to know we're still seeing each other after so long.
I must admit that sometimes for my sec 4 class I don't put in so much effort in it as I would for the Guys, but now I realise that this group of friends are just as important to me as well, with people I've known for 6 years in it.
Friday was the day I waited 4 years for. I just sat in my seat with a silly grin on my face and just became a fawning fanboy at the best moments. I'm sure I said "Oh man!" or "Oh my god!" at least 20 times when Optimus Prime first transformed. It was like your childhood dream had come true. And it was chock full of inside jokes and easter eggs for the hardcore fan like me, which I took great delight in pointing out. I was rather disappointed at some parts though, but I didn't want to nitpick. This movie should be a hit, and since the ending left it open for a sequel, let's hope the next one takes it to the next level, especially if the prodcuers make good their promise to bring in the Dinobots and the Constructicons for ultimate ownage. And let's put it this way, I who has never and would never have had the urge to do so watched a movie a second time in the movie theatre when it's still out, want to do so now, you know the movie is a hit. So just check your brain at the door, and let your childhood take you over.
Finally, just to end with something Janki Tamilselvan taught us all way back in sec 2. I remember once she gathered the whole batch and gave us all a dressing down for, of all things, sitting on the back seats instead of the front seat when our parents send us to school. I remember thinking, what does it matter? But now I know, it's only respectful to do so, as sitting at the back when the front seat is empty is like treating the person driving as a driver only. Saturday, as I drove some of my friends, that happened, and I did not feel very good about it, but I let it slide due to some other reasons. But it still didn't feel that good. So please give the driver a measure of respect by sitting in the front.
This is the season for those who have gone overseas to study to return and meet up with those stuck in Singapore. Hoping to catch up with as many friends as I can before I depart myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.