Friday, July 06, 2007

Charge of the Light Brigade

By a quick rough calculation, I reckon I have spent $715 on comics since I started buying them 4 years ago, way back in J1. Hope they are worth way more decades down the road.
Was mightily relieved when my visa got cleared. Was fretting about it as I had to sign a form stating that I had not produced all the documents, when all I did was to give the guy who was attending to me (who, on hindsight, I feel was inexperienced in his job thus maybe he erred on the side of caution) alternative forms instead of the recommended ones. When I went to get my passport, I was given a A4 brown envelope sealed tight, felt like I was collecting my A level results again.
Tuesday's dinner was nice, as I managed to see many familiar faces again after so long. Andrew as usual provided most of the humor.
Watched the Girl who Leapt through Time today, and am quite happy to say I think I managed to understand about 50% of what was spoken without reading the subtitles. Granted the 50% consisted of mostly sentences which had a maximum of 6 terms in it, but improvement is improvement. Also am loving the 10% discount I get nowadays, the ticket only cost me $6.75.
Been a slow week of sorts, the anxiety has more or less gone away for a while, as my visa application went through well in the end.
My classmate in my Japanese class was speaking to me about her experience teaching NA students in a secondary school, she only started work this monday and she had so much to tell me already. And, all the things she said about her students, I have experienced or seen before in my job. As she spoke of students having tatoos, sneaking into clubs, not wanting to study etc, I felt a bit of world weariness come over me. I wonder if this will ever change, thanks to the efforts of the members of my company, but tit's hard to see past that when all one hears are stories of such.
But still, as long as we help one, that'd good enough for that one. And that one can affect another one, and hopefully those ones will make a many.
Hopeful, but for the sake of my future children, I really hope so.

No comments: