Sunday, July 22, 2007

Euphoric Champagne

It's been a crazy few days, especially Saturday which was literally just a blur of adrenaline filled on the spot problem solving, but now on this drizzling Sunday night, my head is still pounding, albeit not as bad as it was before, but when it's time to reflect on what transpired, these few events stick in my mind.
While tucking into "You-crazy-what??" at Botak Jones for Kenneth's birthday treat (which I must say is the best western I've eaten at such competitive prices) Nick reminded me of something very important, a value that I hold dear but would time to time forget.
"If you want to do something, either do it well or don't waste your time doing it half-heartedly."
Of course he wasn't as eloquent as that, but the jist was there. Which made a great impression on me and the task I was to do on Saturday.
Wearing that new suit, Saturday I was in my element, which is on the spot management, which I kind of relish. Was in charge of the shuttle bus service, which ran from wheelock place to shangri-la, I had to get people who weren't sure of the pick up from the other side of Borders to lead them to the proper spot. As I was hurriedly going to the other side, a woman stopped me.
"Excuse me, where can I get my advance booking of the Harry Potter book?"
Am just glad everything ran smoothly, except when it looked like it'll rain, but thankfully it was a short intense shower. And the hours ran quite fast. In the whirl of activity, the end came quickly and we perked up as we packed up to have a sumptuous and very expensive dinner, with champagne thrown in and lots of merriment.
Had to drag myself home, literally dragged as the adrenaline left my body, which made me feel like a sack of potatoes. Slept for weirdly enough, only 2 and a half hours before waking up inexplicably and wasn't able to get back to sleep at all. Finally, I resigned to fate, went downstairs to retrieve the Harry Potter book which my mum collected on my behalf, and read for 3 and a half hours before falling asleep at 5.
Spent the rest of today fighting fatigue and finishing the book. The last 200 pages were practically addictive. There was a sense of gloominess and helplessness throughout the story, and with 6 books of characters at her mercy to kill you are really left wondering who's next on the body count, which is staggering. As you turn the pages, you hunger with the desire to know what happens next, which is a feeling I rarely get nowadays. After reading 6 books, you just want to know what happens in the end at your own time.
With a major engagement out of the way, it's time to refocus my efforts on my departure. Somehow, after hanging out with the committee members, it made me more excited about going to London. Perhaps it was the champagne doing the thinking for me, or the post-event euphoria, but it sort of calmed my nerves and made me want more strongly than ever, to go out and seek my path in my own way, before returning to this island I will still call home.
After all, I paid for my citizenship with 2 years of my life.

No comments: