Sunday, February 29, 2004

Death by language

Today is a momentous day. For the first time in recent history, MOE has done something deemed as staisfactory in many a students' eye. They got rid of the need of having to include ur chinese grade and SAT score in the admission for university.
For people like me, it is a real relief cos of my lousy grades for both.
I'm sorry terence, if you're reading this, but I'm for this movement as I have suffered enough under the tyranny of the chinese language and was all too eager to get out of the system last year. Mind you, I'm against the system per se, not the language, I'm always proud of the fact that I'm chinese and will never forget about it, but whatever love I would have had for the subject was killed by the endless days of mugging the ci yu shou ce. I much rather have the freedom to write what I want when I want, much like I can in english, albeit we have to do that now in a much structured way in GP, which I dislike.
All in all, I think it is a good policy, as this really helps those people like me who hate the fact they are mugging a language. You don't see anyone mugging a dictionary do you? Ok, insane people don't count. A language must be used, written and spoken at length before one can be proficient in it. Proficiency in a langage does not come with just mugging. In fact, I find that notion extremely sad.
So there. To those who retook your 2nd language, well, either you're cursing the fact you wasted your time or not. IN any case, let's hope more sacred cows get slaughtered soon *cough*pw*cough*
Maybe they will review the whole education system next! And make it much more holistic than it is now!
Hey, a guy is entitled to dream you know.

No comments: