Saturday, May 24, 2003

All alone in a crowd

I am here to clear a major misconception about me.
Yes, I live near Orchard road, just a stone's throw from Borders.
But NO, I am not rich.
Everytime I board a train or bus with someone, the conversation will go along these lines somewhat.
Friend (F): Where are you going?
Me (M): Home.
F: Where are you stopping?
M: Orchard
F: You live in Orchard? You must be very rich/You are very lucky/Do you go there everyday?
Let me correct all these misconceptions.
1) I am not rich. This I know for a fact and most of you know how stingy I am. Especially how i love to scavenge stuff from the LTs.
2) Me lucky? I don't think so. I do not think so. To me Orchard is just a soul-less place where people just go there for the sake of going there. I don't really see the need to go there.
3) Seriously I only go there if I need to borrow some books from library@orchard.
And only a few people know how I dislike Orchard road. I have my own reasons. For one, it is just a place to buy things. Since I am not an avid shopper and Orchard road has a deficeit of pirated games shops, I prefer to stay at home. Secondly, if I need to get a meal, I need to trek all the way to Wisma to buy mcdonalds which tastes like cardboard. I prefer to walk down in my flip-flops to buy some char kuay teow from the hawker centre nearby, if I were to live in a housing estate.
So there. Now all of you know what I am going to say so there is no need to ask that question. Although I must admit it is a good conversation starter...

No comments: