Monday, November 17, 2003

Ubin Paradise

Sunday, the day I normally sleep in late and then frantically try to complete all my homework is now converted to a day of miscellenous activites. Today was a different sort of sunday, I dragged myself out of bed to meet up with the Guys TM to ro reccee pulau ubin, our spiritual second home.
Edwina nd I were early, thanks to the fact dad drove me to changi village. I love the quaint little suburb, where the food is delicious and everything seems much slower. The others finally came, and the first thing we did was to sample the food.
I had some wanton noodles, then we went to convienience stores to stock up on sustenance for our long journey. Jimmy was the classic joker, twirling a mentos stick in his had saying "mentos, the fresh-oops." as he dropped his stick. Then we finally boarded the ferry. (Ferry trip costs $2)
We proceeded to rent (in hindsight, very lousy) bicycles from a shop near the jetty. My seat was too small and it caused me a great deal of miscomfort. Add that to the fact that I chose my clothes unwisely it made for a potentially uncomfortable journey, which I coped with by adjusting my bum every 5 minutes.
The clouds were always amassing, and it threatened to rain every now and then. Mogilan was busy chasing cats and hyperthreading (whatever that means), LaU and ed were the cameramen, muru and jimmy were taking the map. I stumbled many a time, fearing a trip to my eternal rest, and resulted in most of them choosing to scream bloody murder for stopping in the middle of the road.
We did the usual routes, and every turn yielded a memory, like albert's attempt to crack an egg, the sandflies, the snady chicken curry caused by LaU, the prawn sign, the stoner's rock, the advance parties, the hut where gimyong slept against during lunch in sec 3, edwin's encounter with the scropion and many others.
After a few hours of biking, our butts got real sore and we left the island for greener pastures, namely home for me and LAN for the others.
To call ubin our 2nd spiritual home, I think it is more or less true.
A new week awaits me.

No comments: