Saturday, September 18, 2004

I-don't-want-to-tell-you-but-I'll-tell-you-anyway

Let me tell about a syndrome that is named after the title of this post. That is just a shortened name of the syndrome and does not accurately reflect its nature. The real nature would be "I want to tell you something but I don't want to be so direct and tell you so I'll drop hints to make you ask me or somehow shift the conversation towards it so I can tell you." It is believed to have its origin in the times when women would fan themselves slowly and claim it's hot to show off their diamond ring. This is especially so when it concerns matters of the heart or achievements.
This syndrome is accredited to mr nicholas tsao wen jie who has been very perceptive in pointing it out and coining the term for it.
Confused? Here are some examples to illustrate this syndrome.
1) Jake is with his friends studying. Jake then looks at his phone and announces loudly, "Oh shit, I forgot to call Jessie! I promised to go out with her today! No she'll kill me!" Then he waits for his friends to start questioning him about his relationship with Jessie.
2) OR Jake sighs and says "man later still need to go buy new clothes. Need to to meet Mr Nathan for the awarding of my scholarship." and then waits for his friends to ask about it.
3) OR Jake receives an SMS and laughs happily and audibly, then saying "hey look at this... aiyah never mind" Having aroused his friends curiosity, they would badger him for an explanation.
4) OR suddenly, out of the blue, Jake asks, "hey do you think Jessie is pretty?" Then when his bewildered friend replies, and asks him why did he ask that question, he'll just dismis it with a mysterious nothing, before leading his friend on to probe further and then he'll say.
Got a better idea about it? Actually, this syndrome is a good form of conversation starter, but when it gets to more sensitive subjects eg. wealth or achievements they tend to cause resentment in other people who deem it as an indirect way of showing off. Or people would think you're a chronic attention seeker.
Well, I must confess to having fallen prey to it a few times. But hey, it's relatively harmless, and among friends it's fine, as they won't get wrong ideas of you being cocky. Personally, try not to do this so much, but among friends you guys can have a good laugh about it. Besides, by not doing it, there would no longer be conversation for conversation's sake, and life would be so boring.
Reproduced with permission from nicholas tsao.
Are you guilty of this syndrome?

No comments: