Sunday, September 12, 2004

Tough love

Ok now I'm just feel with frustration and I just have to blast it all out here so bear with me if you hate angry rants.
1) They. Did. It. Again. I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw the bloody @(*#^%(!#&#!( cock up. What happened to the normally calm silvestre? What happened to the normally unflappable howard? Someone sponsor me a trip to manchester now, I think a few very choice words in hokkien would be able to wake all of them.... Gah....
2) Everything the media in Singapore serves up these days...

a)Why is ananconda the no. 1 movie in Singapore???? Ooh man gets eaten by snake wow! Sheesh. Even in America where I always thought had bad taste at least their no.1 movie is Zhang Yimou's Hero. So again, why spend good money or a show that can be considered campy and stupid at best? If one watches that stuff for entertainment, well all I can say if you want to watch snakes watch the Discovery channel and learn something! Besides snakes are more likely to run away from humans as they have highly sensitive ears and are frightened by the vibrations footsteps make. So not only the movie is just plain stupid (no better word describes it) it puts snakes in a bad light.

b)Now back to familiar territory. Mediacock has done it again. After my last rant, where they brought in my big fat fiance or whatever that show is, I thought they couldn't sink any lower. Well, apparently the ground has a false bottom. Mediacock went and got MORE reality shows, which according to PACE, the programming revisory body, are "morally decadent and teach the wrong values" To that effect anyway. Seriously, who wants to watch shows like who wants to marry my dad? or bacholerette 2000? I really cannot stand it anymore. Mediacock is using prime-time slots to spread such drivel to the population! Most reality TV try to push the envelope with crazier and dumber acts, to the point it just gets disgusting. The only reality programmes to have any sort of credibility are amazing race, which I feel is a true advertisment of how global our world is now, and the idols concept, but only if they celebrate true talent. Anything else is just trash. No other intrinstic value but just to accomodate the lowest common denominator of crass and tasteless. All in the name of entertainment.
In this time and age where reality TV threatens to take over any semblance of prime-time, I think shows like friends are badly needed. Humor that is yes crass at times, yet it doesn't come across as being trashy. Pity it ends its run for forever tommorrow. Maybe Mediacock can try to put better shows earlier for once. If they could do it for charmed, why not for Alias, OC (questionable whether it's a good show) Practice, or CSI? CSI especially, CSI is so engaging and informative that it shoudl deserve a prime-time spot, not shelved away into the bewitching hour. The Pratice I agree should be put back a bit, due to the sensitive nature of the topics they deal with, but not till 12, where no one witll watch.
And once again, I say this. If we as a society, allow such tasteless and degrading programming on to our screens, we will find it hard to progress to become a cultured nation. I appeal to Mediacock, please have some moral integrity, find it within that profit maximising soul of yours to do something about the current sorry state of affairs of the shows in Singapore. And please, as a reader, do not contribute to this trend. Do you really enjoy what you are watching? If not, please, i implore you, turn off that TV, call your siblings together, blow the dust off that scrabble board, and play a game. Not only does it sitmulate the mind, it builds family bonds, something the goggle box can never do.
At this point, I would like to say yet again I'm no snob. I understand there is some value, however disgusting it is, to such shows. My point is, these shows are not worth showing on TV, neither are they watching. I hope by saying so much it'll make people understand that such shows should not be watched a lot or at all. Neither can I say what type of shows are better. But all I know is, such shows are definately not worth you wasting your time on.

c)Someone please tell me why is a certain william hung on ou friendly shores? All I know he has made the asian male the biggest joke in the west, embarrased himself and the whole chinese population. And he's here, on our fair island. Well, I blame those who actually brought him here in the first place. One word: profiteering. Cashing in on a freakshow. And to those who, higher being forbid, *shudder* who actually LIKE him apart from his parents, and actually bought his album, well, I'm speechless. Who can actually like him? Sure like any one-trick pony he was interesting for a while but he most definately outlasted his 15 seconds of fame. And now, they made hima judge of a talent contest! Granted the talent contest was half-baked to begin with, but again what does it mean to our society? That a screw-up who cannot dance or sing properly is qualified enough to be a judge in our fair island? Well if that's the case I'm qualified to be the next prime minister. And waht message does it send to our potential talent? That all of you are so screwed-up that even william hung is better than you that's why he's in a judge's seat. And call a spade a spade. He's not some star, he's just a joke that refuses to go away, one that outstays its welcome. Sure he has his "i tried my best and nothing else matters" crap but that nice enduring human characteristic is now gone forever. All I see is a misguided young man with delusions of popularity. William, if you do read this, for the love of any higher being you believe in, the world is laughing AT you, not WITH you. You're the joke.

Ok, feels better to get all that out of my system. Any opinions please use the tagboard.

No comments: