Sunday, September 26, 2004

Up close and very personal

Wrote this to help my CT write my testimonial, and rather than let it rot in my hard drive, might as well put it out here and let people read. As honest as it gets. Haha maybe after reading you can write me a testimonial on friendster. (*hint I'm not that desperate hint*)

Ng Zhao Yang 2SO3E

1) List 5 adjectives that best describe you.

Easy-going, passionate, meticulous, analytical, affable

2) Strengths and weaknesses

Strengths: Tries to come up with different solutions to problems, will always strive for the best possible solution, but still willing to compromise for the group.
Weaknesses: Lazy at times and tends to suffer no fools. Not very tactful either, says things before thinking.

3) Personal mission statement

"Tell my tale to those who ask, tell it truly, the ill deeds, along with the good, may I be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."

4) Subjects I like

Economics. Being the subject that is most relevant to my life now, I can relate to it well and use concepts learned in everyday life. Furthermore money is the new religion of the modern economy therefore as a student it helps me have a grasp on what is happening in the world, where money is a very important concern. In addition, the concepts in economics can be challenged and have a human angle, which is similar to my first love law, and it lacks the dryness and absolute-ness of science, where everything is more or less cold hard fact and I just have to accept it.

5) Hobbies

I like reading and writing, but my major writing projects tend to fall through halfway thanks to either writer’s block or lack of time. I also play computer games. Now and then I’ll play football and basketball with friends, or go swimming in my estate’s pool. I rarely watch television save for live televised football matches and played the guitar very rarely. I also have an interest in japanese animation and japanese culture. Also in possession is an almost obsessive liking for the cartoon Transformers, to the point of imaging how cars on the street would look like if they could transform.

6) Challenges over the past 2 years

Personally, I think in my first year I tried to do a lot and found myself with little sleep and a lot of stress at times. I wanted to experience as much as I could as I believed each experience is a learning experience. In the end, I helped out in many areas and aspects, be it in my 4 CCAs or at home. Part of the learning experience was also the independent way of studying required for JC, as you are basically left alone to fend for yourself. Sometimes I would devote all my time to other things and neglect my studies, but in the end I struck a balance and learned to take only as much as I can handle.

7) 3 things I value in life

Family: 2 parents 3 siblings plus various relatives, when everything goes against you at least they’ll be there for you
Friends: No man is an island, we are all social animals and we need friends. Peers, for better or worse, are important in a young person’s life
A (warped) sense of humor: Otherwise, everything would be too dull

8) Course I wish to pursue

I wish to pursue law, specifically biomedical or biotechnological law, as I have interest in both biology and law. It is my belief that these two subjects are the most dynamic subjects today, new laws are being set everyday and we have only started to scratch the surface of biotechnology. I hope that once I graduate I can be the forefront of such changes. In addition, I feel that law suits my outspoken and analytical persona, as I have been actively reading about law ever since I was exposed to it in secondary 2.
I wish to study law, in order of preference, England, Australia then Singapore. I hope to be able to experience the English way of life and by living overseas learn to be independent. Undecided at the moment about the choice of which university, but veering towards the University of Nottingham.

9) CCAs

Fencing:

I started fencing slightly later than the rest, as I had joined the CCA later. However, I soon got the hang of the skills necessary and made great strides quickly. I have a good attendance record, despite having to juggle various other CCAs. I would participate actively in the trainings, working hard under the coaches to learn the skills. Although I was not from a sport CCA before so I was unfamiliar with the concept of a sport CCA, but eventually I got the hang of it.
I attended the various camps and clinics organised. Although I didn’t hold a leadership position in fencing due to commitments in other CCAs, I still actively helped to carry out the activities, even though I did not help in the actual planning process itself. I helped out in a fencing clinic for disadvantaged children, as well as initiating activities in the Fencing camp for the current J1s. I also attended some extra trainings as I was eager to try and improve my skill level.
In competitions, although most of the time we faced up against far superior opposition, we still gave it our best try and gave it all we got.
From my time in fencing, I learned various skills, notably, determination to practise hard to master the techniques; teamwork in order to work well with my teammates in team matches; time management to juggle between studies and CCA; leadership as sometimes I had to lead my friends in stretching and drills. In addition, I enjoyed the camaraderie of my club mates, and I shall take away fond memories of my time in fencing. Given a chance in the future I would want to pursue fencing again.

Events Organised / Participated In
Pesta Sukan Team Championships 2003
Raffles Invitational 2003
Novices Fencing Championships 2004
Singapore Junior Fencing Championships 2004
Schools Invitational Championships 2004 (Div A)
Fencing Singapore International 2004
1 Clinic for welfare youths (9th Sept 2003)
School Clinic Camp for current J2s
Camp for current J1s

Scouting:

Ng Zhao Yang was a member of 01 Raffles Scout Group from 2000 to 2003. He was a volunteer leader with the Group during his first Junior College Year in 2003.

Ng Zhao Yang served in the Group Council of 2003, a council dedicated to the direct administration of the Group’s scouting programme, serving his council position as Venture Vice Chairman. Zhao Yang executed his duties with pride and dedication. He was in charge of the matters involving the Venture Troop consisting of Secondary 4 students, namely their pursuits of the National Youth Achievement Award (NYAA). The ultimate goal was to train them to take on the mantel of Group leadership in the Group Council the following year. His efforts together with Lee Wen Jun Edwin the Venture Chairman were rewarded when the Venture Troop was awarded the Frank Sands Award Silver. Despite having no portfolio in 2004, Zhao Yang still occasionally helps out, drawing upon his experiences to educate the younger Scouts, and has provided advice on matters concerning the new Council before.

Zhao Yang was not confined only to his portfolio, as he played his part in helping the running of the activities of the Scout Unit as well. Despite facing disruptions due to the SARS outbreak, the Group Council organised a diverse range of activities for the Scout Unit, ranging from Scout skills-based sessions held in school to outdoor orienteering exercises and night hikes, ensuring that the Scouts are well equipped to handle life’s challenges, true to the Scout Motto, “Be Prepared”. This ten men team also organised a Community Involvement Project, a Campfire as well as four camps over the course of 2003. Through their efforts, they fostered group spirit and camaraderie. Zhao Yang was instrumental in the successful running of the aforementioned activities.

During his time as the Venture Vice Chairman, Zhao Yang displayed maturity in thought and action to communicate and work well with charges only a year younger than himself. He won their respect and trust with his affable personality, but was tough when important decisions had to be made.

Zhao Yang also actively seeks to improve himself, and his efforts saw fruition as he was awarded with the Venture Scout Standard.

Despite having to juggle other commitments in the form of other co-curricular-activities and his studies in college, he still always found time to attend to his charges’ welfare. A vocal person, he frequently contributes ideas to Group Council discussions, but is also able to know when to put aside personal beliefs to stand by the Council consensus. Zhao Yang is also a situational leader, able to think on his feet and react in a decisive manner to all sorts of problems that may crop up. He carries out his duties in a responsible manner, always meticulous and making sure that everything would run smoothly when executed.

A person who exudes confidence, is passionate about what he does and works determinedly to attain his goals, Zhao Yang has a bright future ahead of him, which would see him being an influential figure in any organisation he goes to eventually, impacting the lives of those he meets.

Raffles Faction:

As a member of Raffles Faction, I played a part in many school based projects, like Open House and Faculty Initiation. In addition, I also helped organise faculty based events, and helped foster friendship and togetherness within the medicine faculty. Although it was hard going at first as we were a relatively new organisation without a clear goal, in the end we managed to find a purpose for ourselves and worked towards achieving it. Through my experiences in Faction, I have learnt that bravado does not get anything done, one must still go through the proper channels in order to get something done. I also learnt that the seemingly impossible task of motivating a large number of incredulous 18 year olds who deem school events as dumb is not that impossible at all. All you need is a thick skin, mega watt smile and sincere words. Not all will sway your way, but those that do, at least that’s worth it.

Rafflesian Outlook:

My interest in writng brought me to Outlook, where I was the vice-chairman. On hindsight, the job required me to do more than what I had expected, I thought all I had to do was to write and write, but I ended up doing interviews, organising layouts for the magazine itself, coordinating between the photography club to take the necessary photos etc. It required my organisational skills to ensure everything ran smoothly. Also with our club’s small size and infrequent meetings, it was hard to pass information along easily and we also had to sort out that problem, which we did using a message group. My time in outlook, although short, was fruitful as I picked up useful skills such as discipline in meeting datelines and working with a small team.

10) Scholarship

Honestly, I hope to get any scholarship that can help me study law in the UK. I am currently looking at the PSC scholarship, but there is a sad lack of scholarships for prospective law students

No comments: