Thursday, September 30, 2004

Everything but the girl

Ahh yessss, love that smell of freedom. Or is that asphalt I smell instead?
Yup, prelims are done and dusted, 2 and a half weeks of mental torture have finally gone, and I'm glad to report that I didn't suffer from any mysterious anxiety caused stomach/head/backache this time.
Off my head, nothing much of significance really happened, been taking this time to sleep in, read, and ultimately take a breather before the real thing comes along.
Econs s is just an exercise in futility, I was trying to force quotes to make them make sense, which is a very bad thing. Was pondering whether I should come up with a quote myself and attribute it to an economist by the name of John Smith who like Mendel published his work in obscure journals. Was contemplating the name alan smith but sowden would probably have a coronary if he sees the name of Judas reincarnated (to him anyway).
Finished Da Vinci code. I finally join the ranks of the many people who have read this book, and frankly I wonder what's the fuss is about. Sure it was exciting at times, but it got a bit repetive when the main character keeps on having "eureka" moments. He must have had like 7-8 of them in the book. Another thing that bothered me was the sheer length, as most of it was spent doing detective work which didn't really move the story along. I sort of laboured through it, as at times mr brown didn't know what kind of story he wants it to be, a sherlock-holmes type or indiana-jones type.
The first few remarks I heard about this book was its anti-christ theme, and having read how the church has attempted to cover up a lie leads me to wonder a few things. Firstly, how much of the work is real? Places seem real enough, too much intricate detail to be fabricated, it'll be interesting to see what was fact and what was fiction in the book. Another thing which stuck in my mind was Mr Tan, normally a mild-mannered person, had strongly said that the contents of the book was false. It seems that the content did strike a nerve, but I would think it is hardly damaging. Personally, I have nothing against the christian faith, I believe as a whole, it promotes good moral behaviour, but it is undeniable that its past is tainted somewhat. Nevertheless, so what if christianity is based on a lie? Lots of other things are. It just so happens to be the biggest one ever. Anyway, I wouldn't go so far as to pigeon hole every christian to be a bible-thumping evangelist. They come in shapes and sizes.
On a more earthly issue, on the day I was scoring a hat trick of U essays for econs s, wayne rooney, still 18, scores a hat trick of stupendous goals, a left foot lash to the back of the net, a feint and a right footed daisy cutter, before a free kick that brought back memories of a certain mr david beckham. I wished I watched the live match. I would have cried my eyes out with tears of joy and woke up the whole estate with my shouts. 6-2. The last time Man Utd was on the right end of that scoreline was when they shot the magpies down in their own nest, with scholes netting a hattrick too. The only I can complain about was the defence going to sleep twice, letting in 2 goals of the silliest quality. But otherwise, it was a great performance, made even better by a superb player. Think about this. Guys his age (which is also my age) get nervous when asking a girl out or taking an exam, but in front of a stadium 67 000 fans, you score a hat trick with nonchalence, like it was a kick about in the park with your mates. Now, I DARE anyone to write Manchester United off.
Ruud, rooney, ronaldo, roy and rio. The stuff of dreams, ironically in the Theatre of Dreams. Rio holding the fort, roy snapping at the heels of the opposition, giggs and ronaldo giving fullbacks twisted blood, ruud and rooney making defences piss in their pants, plus a very strong squad, I do think we stand a good chance this season. And hopefully it'll be a throwback to those good old days of free-flowing Manchester United football, exciting, incisive and devastating.
Haha, jimmy just asked me about my nick, which is the same as the title of this post. Oh well, at least I have "everything" right? The girl can come later...

No comments: