Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Backing off from a confrontation

Well, after a long drought of interesting things to blog about, today was worth blogging about, in a sense.
The bio test was really easy, inge gifted us 8 marks, but I'm not sure of them. Should have studied a bit harder, and I would have gotten an A easily, as it is looking at most for a pass.
Maths test the day before was quite fun, as I had practised the night before and I am quite confident of a better grade than my failing grade for common test.
Fencing today was a rather quiet affair, with the absence of many people, leaving myself, yangqi, kenneth teh, andrew, jie feng, bingrui and the 3 girls to rotate among ourselves the 2 fighting areas. Fought 5 times, the 1st was just a warm up against yangqi, bested andrew 15-10 later, then a rather off-colour joshua by the same score, got rammed into submission by kenneth 10-9, then beat andrew 10-5 again. I felt sharper, felt I moved faster, with my parries faster and my hand movements smaller. Hopefully Team 01 can put up a good showing for the competition on sunday.
On an interesting sidenote, joshua was entertaining us by telling us stories of his experiences workign with the SRT crew.
well, after training, myself and 2 other people, whose names I will withhold until I get their permission to allow me to put their names here, went to the supermarket to get a drink. While there, we put our large bags in front of a potato chip shelf, which was near the canned drinks section. I didn't want a canned drink, so I went to the dairy products section to grab a milk carton. I came back to look after the bags, while the other 2 went to get their drinks from the same dairy counter. When they came back, I realised their drink was cheaper, and went back to exchange it. 1 of us went to pay up, the other stayed behind to look after the bags.
When I got back, I left the drink with the guy paying up, and went back to grab my bag. At this time, a middle-aged man wearing a cyan shirt, let's call him A, came up to us and said the following
"You shouldn't put your bags here."
A tad embarrassed, I muttered an apology and moved our bags.
A, however, started complaining loudly, saying something like, "People want to look at stuff, you put your bags there etc. blah blah blah"
My friend, let's call him B, is normally very mild-tempered, was quite annoyed and pointed the middle finger at him rather discretely (i think), which I told him to cease that. We went to where my other friend was, let's call him C, and waited for our turn in the queue.
Then I realised B was staring at someone. A was standing at the queue opposite us. B was still quite annoyed so he just stared at A, then A moved our queue and the following unpleasant conversation unfolded.
A: "What are you looking at?"
B: "Nothing." (looks at me) "Was I nothing anything wrong?"
A: (pointing) "You think you're damm garang is it? You wait outside later."
At thsi point I came in to defuse the situation, saying sorry to A and asking B to pipe down. We stood in uncomfortable silence as the couple in front of us was taking darn long. C, the slightly hot-tempered one, wanted to call the other fencers back in clementi for back-up. In the end, we left the supermarket under his glare, but at least I averted a confrontation.
Well, I don't know what got to Bs head, normally he is very mild-mannered and not a hothead. I've known him for 4 years and this was the first time he behaved that way. And C was not helping by wanting to call in reinforcements.
In the end, like C said, after he cooled down, that only I would have defused that situation that way, and he pointed out jokingly if rayner kong was there it would have been a fight, no buts about it.
Well, like the time I encountered those machamic skateboarders, I’m not going to see that idiot's face again, so hell I don't mind swallowing my pride and apologising a bit if I can prevent anything nasty from happening, so yeah I know I did the right thing.
Hopefully there are no repercussions. But still, now I know B is no pushover.

No comments: