Sunday, August 03, 2003

By far, our finest hour

We did it.
01 Annual Campfire 2003 was a rousing success.
Whoever thought that the small and congested atrium could hold 600 people?
It was surely a night to remember. It all started with the disappointment of 2 of my videos not working, then we started to get anxious as the groups were slowly trickling in, and we had to push back the start to 1930h.
But when it began, it was the start of a magical 2 hours. With aaron's magnificant launch video, then the countdown video, the opening items began. The hours of hardwork really showed, the sec1s were fluid in their dance moves, the long quan people really looked like punks, and adrian was really giving the gangster thing a real go. Bhangra was the best, bringing the house down with the spinning moves.
The Amazing Race video segments apparently went well with the audience, although they were slightly muted. Mr Court and Mr Sithuraj commented on the refreshingness of the concept and clarity in the picture. Looks like the time spent filming was not wasted, still have to thank all the actors for a great job.
Then it was the idols segment. Edwin was the shuai ge host, who was lubbed by a certain sarah after the campfire, brandon the overly emotional judge, fabian and his spikes, plus his lines about finding keys and alvin, well being simon, or himself or whichever way you look at it. Chin nam was lubbed by stage crashers wanting to grab his stomach, sergius was good as PCK and had authentic yellow boots, kenny was great despite his bout of stage fright. When it was my turn to get on stage and act as clay aiken, I just thought, heck, just whack it since I know i'm going to get booed anyway. So I just sang into the mic that was switched off, and acted like a singer, with the spotlight shining into my eyes at all time. And edwin and I only came up with the introduction 2 minutes before I was supposed to get on. "What do you get when you mix mud, water and a little singing talent?" Damn corny in hindsight.
Before anyone thinks this is some big ego trip, I REALLY didn't expect to win. Anyway, I just looked pathetic when alvin and fabian was suaning me, like it says in the script. Then when edwin asked me to say somehting, I just said whatever came to mind. Vaguely, I think it was "Tonight, I came to sing and touch your hearts, although I don't think I touched Simon's heart, but I hoped I touched all of yours. I hope that I can always be your bridge over troubled water. I love you SIngapore!" Something along those lines.
Oh yah, during the performance, a guide and a scout came up to give me the flowers that were supposed to be use for voting. And yah apparently I received 4 more votes than my closest competitor, who was kenny.
(Shit, this really sounds like an ego trip. I shall stop now.)
Oh yah, adrian and albert's double bill, adrian singing shi jie mo ri and albert playing the piano was really great. 3 groups of girls were shouting "jie lun wo ai ni!" darn loudly. A guide later commented to me that her favourite segment was adrian singing. Then the screams went to a higher level when he took off his jacket and threw it to....edwin, not the crowd. He said he wanted his jacket back, haha.
After idols, was the sec 3 item, then the finale of the amazing race. Somehow it all worked out, and apparently chin yu got a note and a girl's phone number on it when he was leaving the stage after his dance. Reminds me of what happened to me during sec 3 campfire.
At the end, we just cheered unite and 01 till I almost went hoarse, the albatross on my neck was finally gone, and I could only feel a great sense of reflief and happiness.
Then, finally, the J1s did a proper whoosh, with me in it. Haha
Fast CF facts:
72 Transformations was used as an item 3 times. what is the probability of that?
The commercial video was not shown. a pity
I won idols. (just for the record ok?)
Fabian passed a sheet of paper to edwin with the words, "ed, we don't want ZY to win!"

I would like to thank all the j1s, nick especially for all his sleepless nights, the SU for being cooperative, TAR actors, ms lui for being understanding enough to know how much campfire means to me, and all those who voted for me. Haha.
And now, it's back to reality.
But I will always remember the static electricity I felt in my pants, the energy of 600 odd people in that small atrium, watching us put up a show for them.
I'll never forget that.
01 Annual Campfire 2003.
Channel 01.
Television like you've never experienced it.
It sure was.

No comments: