Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Anime fantasy

Just only realised how much I missed watching anime, after reading LaU's new entry and going through IRC again.
I love anime. Compared to the substandard nonsense they come up in the US, save for some rare shows, they really rock. I don't proclaim to be an expert on anime, but I guess I do know enough stuff to talk about it.
Nowadays with commitments pulling me one way or another, it is hard for me to cough up some time to wrestle with people on IRC to download episodes and watch. Remember doing that the later half of my sec 4 year, like how I used to motivate myself to study so that I can watch the episode I just downloaded.
Actually, I think there are also bad apples in anime as well, and I had the misfortune to watch 1 of them. Let's not go there. The real good stuff and Neon Genesis Evangelion, the series which caused my outlook to life change totally, and stands as the best anime in the 20th century. Beat that. To any EVA detractors, I feel sorry for you people as you cannot appreciate Hideki Anno's vision. NGE was a bit dated, the nicer ones nowadays are Kiddy Grade and Rahxephon, both of which were shown on VV, both of which I never finished. Argh.
Anime like LaU said, can be too much of an escapism, as somehow or another this teenage boy always 17 will gain special powers, have to fight a mysterious enemy, fall in love with a girl, has a tone load of angst as he has issues with his father/mother/former partner etc. Eventually he defeats his enemies and saves the world.
However, having said that, there are more than meets the eye in these characters. They are not the atypical american cartoon heroes, noble, self-sacrificing the works. They are more "real", as they have their own fears and insecurities, and suffer from jealousy and selfishness. In a sense, I can empathise with them. And also another thing, the japanese really know how to make their heroes look really badass.
Oh yah, they also have an obessesion with elemental powers. For the record, I would like to have the power of water. Like Mikagami of flame of recca, you can control the 3 states of water, ice, water and vapour. With ice, you can create ice shields, ice shards, mirrors, ice surfaces that are slippery to walk on. With water, you can create water snakes, high pressure jet blasts, water decoys, creating images of yourself from water. With vapour, you can release a blinding cloud of steam, "feel" the movement of water vapour in the air to judge the movement of weapons, use the vapour in the end to slow down enemies by clinging on to them.
Thinking too much again. Still think Mikagami's Ensui is badass.
I hope to watch some stuff after promos, but what with pw, o-team, training, GTC, family trip, I doubt it.
For the want of more time.
Like an article I read in the Business Time, "we now live in a world of a time-based economy. The basic problem of scarcity of resources is now gradually being replaced by a scarcity of time."

No comments: