Sunday, September 07, 2003

Revisionist sentiment

Saturday. For the first time in a long time I had a saturday morning off, and since mama stayed over I decided to go to the Tiong Bahru market with her. The last time I accompanied her was end of last year, and somehow I found the prospect of going to the market inviting. Not really sure why, maybe it is because when I was young I used to go there all the time, every outing to the market was an adventure in itself, with unknown treats for good behaviour, the sight of butchers cleaving meat, fishmongers descaling fish, vegetable-sellers bargaining with mama.
It was a really nice experience, as the market was as usual that hive of activity, and somehow I felt very at home in that area. I sort of stuck out like a sore thumb in the market, being the only visible teenager in the crowd of elderly people, housewives and little children. I guess a part of me enjoys the quaint feel of the wet market. Mama asked me about my work, I told her work is never-ending, but I have only one grandmother and grandfather, and I would rather spend some time with them.
Got home and sorted out the food. Realised that I haven't cooked for a damn long time. Owl can testify to my "good" cooking. Anyways, mucked around till lunch, then left for united square to get a hair cut. Got lost again. The stupid place has bad architecture. I am just quoting my mum who is an architect.
Studied chemical equilirium a bit, then got ready for night hike. Left home earlier to meet brandon and nick for an o-nite meeting, but turns out both were 20 mins late. Damn pissed. We had a rather fun but unfruitful meeting, I think, then we met up with the rest of the J1s and the SU, and started on the hike.
The route stretched from paya lebar mrt to marina park. It was a very scenic route, we were along many waterways, which supplied us with breeze. The city lights being reflected off the water surface was absolutely beautiful, and I mentally added the route to the places to visit when P18 is filled.
Reached end point, then slept rather badly till the next day. Killed the circulation in my right arm by sleeping on it. Anyways, we left the park early in the morning, and I went home and bathed, ate breakfast and slept again. Haha.
After lunch managed to drag dad to comex at suntec. After an arduous campaign to find a parking lot, we joined the human sardine can jam and looked around. I got myself a mp3 discman, costs 260 bucks, 40 less than adrian's, but that is because my discman is 0.05 cm thicker. Also got a new mouse to replace the faulty old one. My PW group was complaining of the right button every time they came over.
Mum bought Prey for me. It is darn interesting, will try to stagger reading and studying. No study plan as yet. Blooming wonderful.
At least the albatross of a silver discman will hang around my neck, as a reminder to work hard to keep my end of the bargain.
Random thought for the day: What this world needs is for us humans to screw up big time before we really make an improvement.

No comments: