Monday, September 01, 2003

Nihil Sine Labor (Nothing without work)

Apparently, those words are hung in Sir Alex Ferguson's office. Well, somewhat sums up what I feel over the course of the last 3 days.
Friday was quite ok, despite the fact that I felt the walkathon was a bit weird, ended up talking with zhong hao over his boarding house ghost stories and how the adult in his house was more scared of the ghost than he was. He said it was "a waste" as he could not see a ghost. Well, personally I think ghosts look for you, and one naturally try to avoid them. At least for the most of us.
The concert was fun, with some good performances, like kelvin singing, which was quite good. Don't remember that part of him from cat high. Then, the image of my dear CT mrs toh in esther's school uniform shall be burnt in my retina for the rest of my life. All I know is that when she came on, my poor eyesight prevented me from recognising at first, then gradually the light shone through and I was dumbfounded. The next I remember I was lying back, screaming "oh no! oh my god!" while laughing like adrian.
After the concert, tried to hail a cab to RI with shiming and the yong twins. Well, we went up road to try and steal a cab. Enhui was rather nervous as he recognised the girls from downroad and was very apprehensive about stealing the cab. In the end, shiming got 1 and we sped away to RI under some hard glares.
Back in RI, was glad to see some of my teachers, and my old classmates. But felt rather tired and bored most of the time, in the end stoned in the scout den most of the time, watching LaU and brandon dance, before leaving for lunch. Saw DC, pong, shaorong, dr lee, wu yahui etc.
Went home, just crashed on my bed, slept for 2 hours before going for the play. To supplement what I said in my previous entry, i swear keng piang was acting as the guy wearing the green boxers, edward was being a "pillar" of strength for someone, and joshua only got home at 1. And yes, P18...
Next day, Saturday, training as usual. Felt a bit bogged down, played 5 bouts, beat steph 8-7, bingrui 7-5, after he took a 4-0 lead, joshua 10-9, lost to peiyi 5-7, yangqi by the same score as well. After training, went to macs and bought an ice-cream cone, then realised I was going to be late for my stupid seminar. Reached orchard mrt, and lo and behold, it was raining and I forgot my umbrella. Dad had to come and pick me up, but he had to negotiate a very bad traffic jam to reach me. To cut a long story short, when I finally got home my mum was not very happy with me.
Wolfed down some lunch, then bathed, before Dad drove me to SGH for the "Forum on approaches to safer contact lens wear". Yes, don't laugh. My mum signed me up for it, and when I protested, she threatened to never allow me to wear contacts again. Oh well, since she hardly insists on a certain thing, I guess I decided to humor her a bit to go for it. But it didn’t mean I wanted to go.
Got there at 1430 when it was supposed to start at 2. While there, I just read the booklet I was given, for about 10 minutes, then I dozed off, finally awaking at the Q&A session. That done and over with, I made my way to clementi sports hall again, to support the girls.
Joanne, amanda and stephanie were fencing fencing masters. Steph was anchor, and overall I felt that they all fought well, given that this was the first time competing. I think the final score was 24-45, around there. I was trying to get steph pissed off to make her fight better. It sort of worked as she got most of their team's points. At the end of it she wanted to buy us bananas for tomorrow. (Apparently according to peiyi, she was forced to do so) Also saw some rather interesting things, like a Caucasian team shouting like it was a football match everytime they scored, and when they won the game by a very close call the loser got so pissed that he slammed his epee down and stomped on it.
Left for dinner with my family, ate at the riverside jumbo seafood restaurant, then got home, was watching the merseyside derby, then went to sleep.
Sunday. This was it. At one point the night before I could not sleep, thinking about the competition. Woke up early, got myself ready and packed up. Adrian called up with a sos asking for long socks, as his wardrobe only consists of ankle-length socks. I gave him a ribbing for that as a payback for all the GLing I got for wearing very long socks.
Decided not to bog Dad down and take the bus there myself. But the bastard bus no. 7 took so long to come and move, that I only reached there at 0850. First thing I did was to empty my bladder. Then we warmed up, and suited up. Joanne was disturbing me with her increase in height thanks to some heels, plus the usual bantering
We got our match-ups, and somehow by faith or destiny, we drew yangqi, peiyi and kenneth teh. Another 2 RJC foil teams were against each other, and lloyd, andy and joshua had a walkover tanglin secondary.
Adrian won the 1st bout against yangqi easily, 5-1, to set the tone, and we never looked back. We won every bout, never losing the lead. I got kenneth teh and yangqi both 5-1, but was quite pissed that I lost 8 points to peiyi before eventually labouring to the end of the bout. In the end, it was 45-36, and we were through to the 2nd round. The other team was gracious in defeat, and yangqi had a good-natured laugh over it. Was quite disappointed that my flexible blade could not be used as it failed the weight test.
Halfway through the bout steph came and I demanded my bananas, which she did not bring. In the end, she went to NTUC to get bananas for all of us, including coach. I ate one to calm my nerves.
Saw rayner talking cock about beating some guy 5-0 and he lost to him by that score. Also saw lloyd's team got whacked by the 1st seeded team 45-15, and lloyd himself got beaten 5-0 in 21 seconds by some crazily good guy. And all the very good guys keep on flicking....
We were the last team to fight, so everyone from RJC came to support us. We were fighting the 2nd seeded team, and edwin told me later that one of them was his primary school classmate and he had a score to settle with him. Something about him stealing his gameboy cartridge.
Ultimately, we were unable to cope with their flicking and unorthodox fighting style, so we lost, 26-45. I got some good hits though, edwin was majestic in this match.
We took a photo together with the score board, which I found a bit guai lan. After our fight, we changed up, watched our only women's epee team lose 45-37, then we left for lunch by ourselves. Back home, studied for a while before succumbing to sleep.
Woke up and ate dinner, then watched I not stupid then watched man utd go down disappointingly against southampton.
Tomorrow, my project work group will make their 3rd sojourn to my house to do the 1st draft of the report which is due on Tuesday.
Well, in case you haven't noticed by now, I have been doing a lot of things, but 1 crucial thing.
Studying.
6 weeks to promos....

No comments: