Sunday, July 06, 2003

The other side of the story

Why my obsession with sad endings? Well, in a literary sense, sad endings have more impact than the happily-ever-after-disney-warmness movies. It makes the writer unhappy, which is a greater emotion than happiness. Those who played FFX would know what a powerful ending it was, when Yuna tried to stop Tidus from leaving but only succeeded in falling through him. Also, the mail which mogilan forwarded to me about the girl with cancer is another example. It invokes strong feelings in the reader, compelling him to read further on and feels that he is really involved in the story.
In a personal view, I prefer to write sad endings as I am better at that. Somehow cookie-cutter disney endings are not my cup of tea. Also, I feel I am reflecting life in general. Too often we see the happy endings, especially in the last episode of chinese drama serials. I want to reflect the other side of the story. For every wedding there is a funeral, for every birth of a child there is a murder or death. For every happy couple there is a break up, for every acceptance there is rejection. Other people can write about the wonders of life, I prefer to stick to the dark side of the story. For every disney writer, there has to be someone like me.

No comments: