Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Sobering thoughts

The iranian twins died, I hope they rest in peace. It wasn't meant to be. Like Nick said, what with common tests results people may take this lightly, but still one shoudl take time off and think about one's mortality. My view on death is simple. Like my mum says, if you're time is up it is up. Millions of people fly everyday, if you're on the one that crashes then it's the end of the road for you. However, having said that, I don't believe in fate. I had always believed in the fact that I have control over my life, not some mysterious higher power. As a chinese saying goes, ren2 ding4 sheng4 tian1, translated meaning humans have the power over the heavens. I have staunchly resisted all religion because of that fact, but I still respect other people's beliefs.
The only people I can stand are those who set out their stall to convert me. This isn't meant to be offensive, please do not take offence. I am just not happy with some people who bug you by calling your house up and wanting to talk to you about god. And if I tell them sorry no, they don't get the point and I have to be more forceful. I mean, no use forcing a guy if he doesn't want right? This kind of hard sell tactics fail most of the time.

Now this parts get a bit offensive. Please really do not take offence.
I remember a rather funny (if you see it my way). Daniel chiang, now the MJC head councillor, the lovable idiot and devout christian, who tried on many ocassions to convert me but failed, was studying for history on the day of the paper. He asked me what are the reasons for the fall of the provisional govt in russia, I replied him with a straight face.
"Cos god planned it."
With that, he was totally dumbstruck.
After that, we both had a good laugh as friends.

No comments: