Sunday, July 20, 2003

Sheltered existence

Yesterday was really a day of eye openers. I saw things I only heard of, but would never want to experience. Well I got to experience it up front yesterday.
Felt absolutely dead after the meeting, thus woke up at 9 the next day. In the end, dragged myself to RI 2 hours late, taught the bhangra brudders LaU mog and muru how to do this cheerleading move which I learnt yesterday. They were carrying nicholas yeo and tried to do the sweep and carry move, quite fun.
Went to watch the sec 1s dance. With more practice they would be ready. Then went to watch the sec 3 item, which looks quite promising.
Coordinated the amazing race filming people, then left for home at about 1. I ate lunch then rushed off to city link again for filming. We went to the bottom of the esplanade, then we shot 2 scenes.
Then the memorable thing happened. One scene required 2 teams to fight over the clue box while the 3rd team strolls in and grabs the clue first. While doing a demo of this, some skateboarders started to skate in our direction. The 1st time one of them narrowly missed us, the 2nd time, I realised too late was the fact that these people were just trying to pick a fight with us. This was because, the second one of them collided into one of my juniors, let's call my junior X. X's back was facing him, so he could not see the skaterboarder, let's call him the WSG as he was wearing a white shirt, coming towards him. I clearly saw WSG not pulling out of the collision. Part of it was my fault as I did not shout out a warning to X, but never did I expect them to try and cut into us so brazenly.
In any case, X stopped WSG's skateboard, and he started shouting f words as he was pissed over the fact that he touched his skateboard. X, in retrospect should not gotten agitated and talked back, but I'm sure he has learnt his lesson now. I tried to calm things down by apologising to WSG, but he told me to shut up and said it was only between him and X. I'm sure it did not help that I was wearing RJC PE uniform. I was more concerned over the police stopping us from filming then unreasonable skateboarders. I thought if a policeman were to accost us, at least I could point to my uniform and say we were filiming for a school project.
Continuing on, WSG just kept cursing at us, and his gang of 3 other people were also doing so. AS he stood there using f words with absolute impunity, I just stood there seething and kept apologising in a controlled voice. In the end, they told us "to f off" in their own words. I thought the best course of action was to beat a strategic retreat, which we did.
My take on it was they were just looking for someone to pick a quarrel with, and my juniors agree with me. Ironically today in the papers a person critiscised the government for not allowing people to skateboard in that very place. He argues that it is counter to Singapore's push to be more artistic. After what happened yesterday, I say the government is right. Young punks like WSG do not deserve to be placed on the same pedestal as great artists. Still, I thought I did the right thing backing off, after I realised that these people were immune to simple reasoning. All in all, it was an eye opener as I finally got to taste what life is really like, underneath the squeaky clean exterior.
We took refuge above ground first, then LaU came. (Start of tall tale) He heard our story, then walked up to WSG and flexed his biceps and asked "Yes? What is the problem?" When WSG said X touched his skateboard, LaU took the skateboard, snapped it into 2 on his knee, and said nonchalantly, "What skateboard?" (End of tall tale)
What really happened was LaU went to check out whether they were still around, and when we found that th coast was clear, we hurriedly took the scene and left.
The last scene was at burger king, where LaU was the GLPB. (Guai Lan Passer By) He should really be a comedian with his rubber face. The scenes were just sublime, and we wrapped up and I left for home to get ready for the east area campfire.
LaU, nick, mog , muru, js plus me went for the campfire. It was quite sian, the highlight was the fact this band played unwell which was nice, but most of the time we were drummed about the message "fight sars!" Finally found out that Five Star came from fight sars...
The second memorable event happened was on the bus ride to Tampines MRT. While waiting for the bus, this bugger in a bus which moved past us slowly due to a traffic jam, started to point middle fingers at us and making fun of our scout salute. One of us was pointing the middle finger back to at them. Sighz, yet another unprovoked action.
We finally boarded the bus, and were joined by bedok south scouts. They were a real boisterous bunch, and was a sharp contrast to the 6 jaded souls enjoying the air conditioning. LaU engaged them in conversation, and I found out that they have a lot of funny impressions of RI.
As the final act, ate at macs with js LaU nick, before embarking for home with LaU, listening to his consultation...
But it was far from the end. At Orchard MRT I saw policemen photographing blood stains on the floor ala CSI style...didn't linger around to figure what happened.
As I said throughout of yesterday, I had enough excitement for one day...

No comments: