Wednesday, June 18, 2003

So long and thanks for the memories

David Beckham has left Manchester United. In 1999, at the height of the success of the treble, it was unthinkable. Now, the unthinkable had happened.
I was never much a Beckham fan, I had supported Manchester United since primary 4, and I always admired them for their attractive attacking football and undying spirit. They never give up, even when it seems a lost cause.
So in a sense, I feel Beckham's departure is good for Man Utd. They now have the money to buy 3 new players, which will no doubt strengthen their squad.
I sensed Beckham was on his way out quite early, as I found it odd that Man Utd could leave out the England captain in crucial games. Man Utd no longer uses the atypical 4-4-2, which requires wingers to cross for the 2 strikers in the centre. They had switched to a more dynamic 4-5-1, spearheaded by van Nistelrooy. The wide players like Giggs are expected to cut in to support van Nistelrooy. This makes for a more unpredictable style of play, where attacking midfielders Scholes, Giggs, Solskjaer interchange positions while defensive midfielders Keane and Butt break up play. Beckham, for all his crossing ability, does not fit into such a system and therefore was dropped, then sold.
I now hope Man Utd buys a top quality right midefielder, someone like Figo. Perhaps even Kewell, even though he is left-footed, he can cut in and shoot with his left foot.
Whatever happens, I wish Beckham the best of luck, and I will always remember the great things he did, like supplying 2 crosses for Dwight Yorke to beat Inter 2-0, the audacious 60 yard chip over Neil Sullivan, and more recently the S-shaped free kick against Aston Villa in 1999. He was a loyal servant to Manchester United, and as a fan I salute him.

No comments: